Wednesday, February 23, 2011

So much for my happy ending.

How come there are so many stupid songs about people breaking up/being dumped/being cheated on? Like seriously?!?! You want to remember that and how it felt when your heart was smashed to smithereens??? 'Yeah, this guy broke up with me, so I'm gonna write a song about it and remember it for the rest of my life.' Pro, real pro. I know I never want to remember someone breaking up with me. Worst feeling in the world, and singers just share the love around. It doesn't help anyone else think positively. In fact, some of them relate to our own heart breaks, which then brings up hurt feelings, painful memories, and maybe even regrets. Why can't people write about happier things? Like, how it's great to be alive! Or praising God for all the wonderful things in our lives! Or about an amazing experience they had. Or, all else fails, about their love for someone. Not someone who dumped them/hurt them/etc. But someone who truly loves them back. People need to write more positive songs! No wonder the world is such a sad place to live and people are constantly struggling with depression. Look around you! Is this really how we wanna live??? With songs that constantly remind you of painful memories and/or that make you sad, images and models the remind you that you're not perfect by the world's standards, advertisements that make you discontent with everything you have when it was all good enough for you 1 minute before, booz and drugs that just destroy people; the list goes on! Is that really what you want, America? You can change that. I know you hear it all the time, 'YOU can make a difference!', and we often just shove it aside, thinking 'whatever man, I'm just a teenager, everyone just looks down on me and tells me I can't do anything'. I'm gonna be very honest with you. Anyone who says that to you is an idiot. Because anyone, even a child, can make a difference in someone's life. Yes, most of us probably wont become big and famous by doing something. But you know what? I personally think the little things matter more. Like, smiling at someone. That's HUGE! You have the power to change how someone's day will be with just a smile! And there's tons of other things you can do! Just be creative :) and God will use whatever you offer to impact someone's life.

My challenge for the week: For all you die-hard music people like myself, delete any songs that are about break ups/cheating on/etc. Just for a week, even. And see if changes your attitude for the week. :)

No comments: